Appendicitis syndrome Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, and Prevention
When the appendix ( a narrow, finger-shaped pouch on the lower right side of your belly that is connected to the large intestine ) of a human body becomes swollen and inflamed which grabs it with pus, it is the case of appendicitis.
Around more than 11 million people across the world suffer appendicitis every year. More than 1 million cases are in India itself. Starting from pain in the belly, it reaches the abdomen too. Common surgeries are available to solve this problem. Immediate treatment will help you sure to live a good life again. Appendicitis can result in excessive pain and pressure and can also result spread of harmful bacteria all over the abdominal cavity.
Who is more likely to suffer from appendicitis
This common disease can affect anyone of any gender or age. But young teenagers in their early 20s are more likely to suffer due to certain changes in their bodies and unhealthy lifestyle. Family history is also a matter.
What are the causes of appendix ?
It cannot become a cause of just one reason/mistake. The exact reason is unknown but certain factors lead to the result of the appendix.
✔️Something is stuck on your appendix due to the wrong postures of sitting, eating, drinking, pooping
✔️ Bacterial growth
✔️Affected by certain infections of viruses and parasites in the abdomen
✔️ eating certain fruits in the wrong way can cause an appendix. Like eating oranges and watermelon without taking out their seeds.
✔️ Sex ( males tend to have more risk )
✔️ Genetics and parental history
✔️ Tumours or trauma
Appendix left untreated can lead to certain serious complications which can spread the infection even more like –
• Peritonitis – In this case, the appendix can burst in your peritoneum only and can lead to severe infection and pain called peritonitis.
• Abscesses – abscesses are the collection of pus and infected fluids that surrounds the swollen appendix inside the abdomen.
• Sepsis – sepsis is the result of excessive bacterial infection that can cause organ failure or even death.
Defined symptoms of appendicitis –
• Pain in the lower right abdomen
• Nausea or appetite loss
• Swollen abdomen
• Pain while eating, breathing, coughing or sneezing
• Gastric issues
• Mild or severe cramps
How can one prevent appendicitis ?
There is no studied scientific or specific way to prevent appendicitis. But choosing a healthy lifestyle by regular exercise, diet and help in all way.
• Healthy and fresh food intake. ( make sure you choose the right place from where you take your ration)
• Fresh fruits ( must eat after peeling )
• Avoid excessive sugar and salt
• Brown rice over white rice
• Quit smoking and alcohol
• Avoid fried and street foods
• Avoid excessive non-veg
Myths created –
Answer – it may cause a little pain in the starting as your body is not adapted to it, but in the long term playing sports or exercising would make your belly bottom even healthier
Answer – there is no exact yes or exact no for this question. The opening of appendicitis is much bigger than the size of seeds but yes if you always do so, then they may get collected on the abdomen and then block it leading to appendicitis.
When to see a doctor ?
It is suggested to concern the doctor as soon as you see the symptoms. As if your delay will increase the complications. Appendicitis is a medical emergency and early treatment is important to reduce the chance of higher level infections.
• Surgery – Appendectomy is performed as an open surgery to remove the appendix
• Pain Medications
• Changes In everyday lifestyle – have a proper diet, exercise and sleep schedule
• Certain drugs, vitamins and other supplements would help
Frequently asked questions –
Answer – lifting a bit heavyweight would help you increase your holding capacity but lifting too many weights can lead to other pain issues. So better you do everything within limits.
Answer – yes, having a fresh bowel every day would help you ease the pain.
Answer – although it is rare, reports have came in history.