Breast Cancer: Symptoms, Treatment and Stages
Cancer when attacks the breast cells of the person, is called breast cancer. Breast cancer is the most common cancer in women all around the world ( especially in the united states ). Although, it can happen to males also for sure, but chances are higher in women. Awareness in today’s generation and advanced treatments had helped in any way, but still, there are a lot far more to go to get the least least cases of this. Breast cancer starts when the breast cells start growing out of control.
How does breast cancer starts ?
There are a lot of factors that are the cause of breast cancer. Studies say that cancer around the breast cells starts growing naturally only. Yet, other people with risk factors may generate this disease in themselves unknowingly due to the following reasons also –
• Hereditary or genetics
• Gender (females have more chances to adopt breast cancer)
• Growing age
• Any breast-related medical issue in the past
• Radiation exposure
• Obesity or overweight
• Starting periods at an early age
• Being pregnant at an older age
• Smoking or alcoholism in a large amount
• Late menopause
• Post menopause hormonal therapy
• Having dense breast
• Including too many fried foods in everyday diet
Symptoms of breast cancer
Following are the signs and symptoms which you can observe in yourself to find whether you are having breast cancer or not –
• Lumps over the breast area or under the armpit
• Swollen or thicken breast as before
• Pain in the breast
• Size and shape of your breast have changed suddenly
• Irritated or redness breast skin and nipple
• Often Nipple discharge ( including blood )
• Warm and darken breast
• Changes in the colour of your breast
• Hard and tendered breast
• Bone pain
When to see a doctor ?
When you notice sudden and many changes in your breast and if you face some of the above symptoms of breast cancer, you must not delay and concern a doctor for the proper treatment.
How to prevent breast cancer?
You can prevent and reduce the risk of breast cancer yourself by doing the following few things suggested –
• Staying physically active by doing regular exercise and yoga
• Saying no to cigarettes and alcohol
• Maintaining a healthy weight
• Healthy and nutritious diet
• Stay vigilant about breast cancer detection
• Eat fermented food and citrus fruits
Myth – carrying something like a phone in a bra can cause breast cancer
Fact – there is no such evidence or case that has come across till now in history.
Myth – eating sugar is also a reason for breast cancer
Fact – there is no such study or proof which admits this but yes sugar is harmful in some or other way.
Myth – there always form a lump in your breast if you have breast cancer
Fact – it is not necessary all the time as there are many more symptoms that match but it is not like everything matches everyone.
How do doctors diagnose breast cancer?
Most often, doctors take tests to examine your breast cancer. They can diagnose by –
• Breast magnetic resonance imaging ( MRI )
• Diagnostic mammogram or breast x-rays
• Physical check to see lumps, tenderness and other changes in your breast
• Blood test
• Bone scan
• CT scan or PET scan
Doctors determine your treatment on basis of the stage, grade, size and sensitivity of your breast cancer. The treatment options they can provide to you are –
• Lumpectomy ( breast-conserving surgery where it removes your breast cancer cells )
• Mastectomy ( the whole breast is removed )
• Sentinel node biopsy
• Axillary lymph node dissection
• Contralateral prophylactic mastectomy ( removing both the breast )
• Radiation therapies
• Chemotherapy and hormone therapy
• Palliative care
• Targeted drug treatments