Gout Overview: Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, and Prevention
Gout is a common arthritis type that can cause inflammation in your joint (usually on only one joint). When excess uric acid crystals deposits in the joint, it becomes the reason for gout.
Although gout can occur in anyone, men have higher chances of it. Consuming excessive fish, red meat, and mutton can lead to gout as such meals release high uric acid levels in your blood.
Common symptoms can include swollen joints, redness, tenderness, pain and discomfort. Symptoms worsen at midnight.
Gout usually attacks our big toe but the situation is easily treatable in the majority of cases.
Signs and symptoms –
• Excessive pain in joints like knees, wrist, elbows, toe or ankles.
• Inability to walk due to pain and discomfort in life
• Swollen affected area
• Burning sensation
Causes of gout
When too much uric acid is deposited in your blood, it becomes the reason for gout. It can also be called hypercupraemia. It depends on many factors such as –
• Eating red meat, gravy, spicy foods, seafood, alcoholism and fructose beverages
• Gender ( men are more likely to get affected by gout)
• Being diabetic
• Age ( people age 30+ have higher chances)
• High blood pressure
• Family history of gout
• Kidney disease or heart disease patient
• Going for certain medications and inhibitors
• Recent trauma attack
Complications associated with gout
Gout can lead to various severe conditions that involve –
• Stone in your kidney
• Tophi in any body part (new gout)
• Recurrent gout situations
How can you prevent gout ?
• Exercise well and on a regular basis to maintain your uric acid level.
• Reduce the number of meats, beer and sweet beverages
• Eat foods like cherry, berries, coriander leaves, ginger, cucumber
• Have apple cider vinegar every day
• Don’t go for medication on small issues. It has side –effects that can trigger your gout.
• Reduce the tea/coffee intake as it also imbalances the uric acid level in your body.
• Maintain your weight and become fit.
• Go for sports to have active joints like swimming or bicycling.
• Stay hydrated. Drink proper and plenty of water.
Myths created about gout
Fact – gout can happen in any part of your body. However , the chances in big toe is more as compared to other part of your body.
Fact – gout itself is not fatal in most case but it can lead you to various fatal complications in your body that can be life – threatening.
Fact – gout can affect any people irrespective of age , gender , weight. Its just that obese people have higher chances of gout than that of others.
Fact – not having gout attacks and not experiencing symptoms does nit always mean that your gout is gone. It may be that it have reduced for certain period of time . The best thing your can do is to go for proper treatment and you must not leave the treatment if few results are visible and complete the dosage given by doctor.
When to seek medical attention
If you experience intense and excessive pain in your joint or any body part which is regular and becoming severe day by day, you should fix an appointment with your doctor so that they can diagnose and treat your gout at the right time.
• Blood test
• Physical exams
• Urine analysis (if needed)
• X-RAY and MRI tests
• Joint fluid tests
• Dual-energy computerized tomography (DECT)
Available Treatmemts –
Treatments basically involve medications to reduce the pain and get rid of gout attacks. It is suggested to have the complete dosage provides even if results are visible. Doctors generally suggest the following medications to treat your gout
• Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as ibuprofen and naproxen sodium to treat tour gout pain.
• Corticosteroids to control swelling
• Anti-inflammation drugs like Colchicine.
• Drugs like Allopurinol and febuxostat can also be prescribed to reduce the excess production of uric acid in your blood.
• Icing process can also help to reduce inflammation.
Frequently asked questions –
Answer – gout is a type of arthritis and arthritis includes many types among which one is gout.
Answer – as our body loses moisture at night , the water content reduces which increases the uric acid at that time , leading to excess pain.
Answer – yes , its awesome to drink lemon water during gout to stay hydrated from inside.
Answer – no , eggs have low – purines and are rich in protein . Also , there is no harm in having eggs during gout.
Answer – gout can be called quite common as it have affected 8 million people of America each year.
Answer – yes , you must not ignore gout thinking it of a small pain as it can lead to permanent joint damage.
Answer – the death rate of gout is 21% but it is increasing every year which is a thing to slight worry.
Answer – yes , gout is treatable in almost all cases. However , few people go for treatment when the situation is really worst and they have to undergo various complications due to late diagnosis.