Heartburn Overview: Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, and Prevention
Heartburn can be explained as the burning sensation in your chest (mid-chest) which activates increases after eating and drinking something hot or cold. The issue worsens on bending down or lying over.
Heartburn is a common issue and is easily manageable by treating with OTC medications. However, conditions are serious if it’s regular and become severe with time.
It can irritate your oesophagus and interferes with the comfort of your abdomen and breast bone. The general cause of heart burn is acidity and if left untreated can lead to fatal diseases like GERD.
Symptoms of heartburn
• Often Burning sensation in the chest which increases after meals
• Pain while bending and lying down
• Sour or bitter taste in saliva
• Pain in jaw and arm while breathing
Yes, medical attention is needed things need not be delayed and ignored much. Fix the appointment with the doctor if you have heartburn disorder every week and pain in breathing.
When your stomach acid enters the oesophagus, it results in heartburn. It depends on various factors like –
• Eating very spicy and peppery foods and often
• Eating citrus fruits like lemon, key lime, orange
• Onion and tomato products usage
• Eating fried fatty foods
• Caffeine consumption (tea/coffee)
• Excess chocolate
• Poor sleep
• Suffering from Anxiety issues
Prevention measures –
You should go for following lifestyle changes in your everyday life and take the following precautions to control heartburn –
• Manage your stress
• Maintain a fit weight
• Wear loose clothes. Don’t go for air-packed clothes, especially around the waist
• Quit smoking and alcoholism
• Avoid foods that cause heartburn (like citrus foods)
• Do not eat once in a lump. Eat small meals many times a day.
• Have proper amount of sleep
• Clean your gut properly.
• Prevent constipation.
Complications associated with heartburn
• Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
• Cancer in the oesophagus
Myths created about heartburn
Fact – heartburn can lead you to various sever diseases like ulcer , cancer , asthma and GERD which are really serious and fatal disease
Fact – it is not always necessary. Heartburn disorder depends on various factors like your lifestyle , your diet and other things.
Fact- it is not a permanent solution. The remedy is effective just for a while and then it come backs to the same stage.
Diagnosis of heartburn
• Oesophageal manometer test
• Ambulatory acid probe test
• X – RAY’s
Treatments for heartburn
• H2 blockers like cimetidine and famotidine to control and reduce acid production.
• Antacids are provided for rapid relief in the stomach
• Proton pump inhibitors like esomeprazole, lansoprazole, and omeprazole may also be suggested by your doctor.
Frequently asked questions –
Answer – studies shows that moderate stress is normal but stress in severe is really harmful and may cause heartburn.
Answer – yes , it would clear the acid in your stomach.
Answer – not the complete acid get out of your body while stool pass but few acid can get out by watery stools.
Answer – if you experience heartburn occasionally , then it not a case of worry. However , if your heartburn triggers octenyl and worsening with time , you should get aware for it .
Answer – no., heartburn is not really fatal but if it stays with you for a ling time it can lead to severe complications that can be life threating. Therefore , never ignore any disorder in your body . If you experience any sort of signal in your body , please go for the check-up before its too late.