know GAD (Generalized anxiety disorder)
When life is so busy and full of work, it becomes stressful for us. It’s normal to feel low from time to time.
But, when the anxiety issue is repetitive and interrupts our life heavily, it is the case of generalized anxiety disorder. People with generalized anxiety disorder tend to be over-thinkers and have negative thoughts in their minds all the time.
Earlier, the situation was common among adult men and women, but now GAD has affected even children.
GAD in children is a very harsh signal for all of us to understand that depression is going to hamper each and everyone’s life adversely. GAD is mostly a long-term disorder and one can have often mood swings, panic attacks, and emptiness. The situation can be treated with therapies and a few genuine medications.
• Poor sleep
• Nervousness and sweating
• Inability to make decisions on your own
• Fear of losing something
• Worrying all the time
• Unable to concentrate in work place
• Likes isolation
• Mood disorders and frustration
• Don’t like talking to people and being social
• Body aches
• Nausea and diarrhoea
The major causes of GAD can include –
• Your basic personality
development from childhood – if you have lived in a negative environment, and have a negative mindset about life, you may suffer from GAD
• Inefficient brain function
• Exposure to various environmental toxins (ex – suffering from trauma in the past).
• You may go into depression
• Severe illness
• Digestive issue
• Heart disease
• Obsessive-compulsive disorder
• You may suicide
• You may suffer various phobias
• Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) issues
You need not go for medical attention if your thoughts are very temporary and casual. But, sometimes these overthinking thoughts, anxiety, and stress hamper our life too much that we are not able to work on anything. That time you need to understand that you need a psychotherapist to take care of you.
Generalized anxiety disorder can is prevented if you are already suffering from it. But when you take care of yourself from the beginning of your career life, you can never be touched by these disorders. Some of the basic steps which we all know to lead a happy life but are unable to follow on a regular basis include the following –
• Maintain your diet. Don’t eat too much outside. Keep your diet very simple and healthy
• Don’t skip exercise. Do it regularly
• Go for meditation and yoga
• Avoid caffeine, alcohol, drugs, smoking and all the other substance abuse
• Learn to manage your stress. Keep a journal of your day
• Go for regular check-ups
• Keep good relations with people around you
• Read books like Bhagavad-Gita
• Prioritize things in your life.
Fact – GAD is a case of severe depression which cannot go away very easily without treatment.
Fact – GAD can go away in months only if treated properly.
Fact – GAD can really be fatal if you ignore its symptoms.
Fact – the medicines are habit forming but not really addictive. There are various genuine antidepressants which can help you without addiction.
Fact – its not necessary all the time. You may be suffering from some other issues also. You can go for diagnosis to know the right disorder.
• Blood sample
• Urine analysis
• Study your medical history
• Physical exams to check if your medical condition is connected to medications or not
• Psychological questions
• They may use the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5) criteria to diagnose your GAD.
Treatments are given on the basis of the stage of generalized anxiety disorder at which you. Following are the treatments one can go through –
2. Medications like Antidepressants, Buspirone, Benzodiazepines and others.
3. Join support groups like National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI).
4. Stick to basic meditation and exercises.
5. Go for visualization techniques for relaxation
6. Never go for any substance abuse in depression.
Answer – yes , it will be good to hear for you that GAD can be treated.
Answer – no , GAD can go away if you give proper treatment , support and care to yourself.
Answer – normal stress is temporary and goes away with time. But GAD is repetitive and also interferes your everyday life.
Answer – GAD if left untreated can lead to severe depression and one can even suicide.
Answer – yes , GAD is a chronic illness.
Answer – psychiatrist or psychologist can help you for best treatment.
Answer – GAD is not really hereditary but it can be one of the risk factors.